Do you need to hire a lawyer if a car accident you were involved in was not your fault? It may seem like an easy situation, but there’s a lot involved that a lawyer can help with. The following are three reasons hiring a lawyer would be a good idea, even if the other driver was at fault.
- For Assistance Dealing With the Insurance Company
Sometimes the at-fault driver’s insurance company will contact you with an offer. Their purpose is to get rid of the situation as soon as possible, while paying out as little as possible. Some insurance companies will bother the victim of a car accident, twisting his or her words until the victim accepts the offer. If you find yourself in this situation, an attorney can help you deal with the insurance company.
When an insurance representative contacts you, simply refer him or her to your attorney. If the conversation persists, hang up and contact your lawyer yourself. You have no legal obligation whatsoever to speak with the at-fault driver’s insurer.
- To Help You Determine Damages
There’s a lot you could receive compensation for. Perhaps you don’t realize all the aspects involved and the costs that you’ll face because of this one car accident. Your lawyer can help you file for damages such as:
- Lost Wages – This covers the time missed from work while you recover from the accident.
- Medical Costs – This includes costs that will be incurred for future medical appointments.
- Pain and Suffering – This includes compensation for mental and emotional injuries suffered.
- Reduce Earning – This is coverage for the case in which your ability to do your job is impacted.
- Punitive Damages – This is coverage for situations in which the driver acted negligent or malicious.
- To Strive for an Out-of-Court Settlement
Lawsuits that go to court can get long and drawn out. While it’s typically worth the effort, you may be able to settle your case outside of court. If so, it would generally require the assistance of an attorney who knows the law better than you do and can help negotiate a settlement.
Contact an Attorney Today
If you are involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, there’s still sense in hiring an attorney. Your lawyer can help you deal with the insurance company, determine damages and settle the case outside of court. Contact a car accident attorney today to learn what you need to do to get started.
Source: Car Accident Attorney Indianapolis, IN, Ward & Ward Law Firm